Look around; what do you see? What do you see in the ocean, at the lake, or pond; how about at the park on a nature walk or within your neighborhood? Is what you see beauty or ashes and dust? You see, filth and trash (pollution is running rampant all around us, present in so many cities, and no matter how much we hear or read about global warming, loving mother earth, taking care of our environments, wildfires, etc. much is not changing. At Earthy Naturals, we often talk about things that can be implemented to make our planet a better place for everyone, including humans, animals, and sea creatures. Though our words reach many, at times, it appears to land on deaf ears with others. How do we know this? We are immensely conscious travelers in our free time. We utilize our senses, are intuitively aware, and are consistently observing what is happening around us in our environments. We notice unclean & unhealthy environments, we also recognize when people are sick, stuck, inflamed, and unable to breathe or move the way they used to or should. The thing is when people get ill, they often wonder why they are sick, not realizing in many cases it is their actions or lifestyle that has caused or affected their current situation. These same individuals won't clean up their environments, not even to improve their own health. They refuse to alleviate chemically based plastics, they won't give up using toxic personal care products, refusing to stop smoking for themselves or for their loved ones who are obtaining second-hand smoke from their nasty habits, and they won't invest in being more eco-friendly/sustainable to improve their overall health. People's refusal to adhere to the little things of which has broken down their immune system and if change does come, it is often too late for them or their loved ones, and then "I wish" or "I know I should have..." becomes the two phrases that spring out their mouth as if they were born yesterday and did not know better. Living consciously is something that must be implemented if the planet is to work to sustain human, animal, and sea life. Isn't it time that you become mindful to make a difference in you and your loved one's lives? Environmentally Friendly & Sustainable living ought to be available for all that exist within the sphere of Mother Earth.
Living unconsciously does not have to be a way of life, especially when it comes to the environment and living sustainably. Most of us in America have a choice. We all can make conscious decisions and think before every action we take. We have the resources and power to improve our world for this generation and those who have yet to arrive on it. By simply choosing to live an environmentally friendly and sustainable lifestyle. If you find yourself curious to learn how some areas within the United States of America are taking sustainability or living green/eco-friendly seriously and thriving, make it your mission to visit some prominent cities like the ones we have compiled here to gain or increase your knowledge and perspective. California is a great place to start your journey because 3 out of the 10 cities we listed reside in that state.
10 Cities that are Eco-Conscious
The United States has a few cities that have made significant strides to become more environmentally friendly and sustainable. Below are some of the greenest cities in America, known for their commitment to sustainability, renewable energy, green infrastructure, and eco-friendly policies. Won't you take a moment to visit one of them of these environmentally friendly and sustainable in the near future on your next getaway?:
1. Portland, Oregon: Often cited as one of the greenest cities in the U.S., Portland is known for its extensive public transportation system, bike-friendly infrastructure, and numerous parks. The city has set ambitious goals to reduce carbon emissions and promote renewable energy.
2. San Francisco, California: San Francisco is a leader in environmental initiatives, such as banning plastic bags and styrofoam containers. The city of San Francisco has set some rigorous goals and made some obligations to be more sustainable by recycling and composting. So, on your visit, you will find lots of eco-friendly living happening, which is a pleasure to witness. From area restaurants to homes, you can find lots of green living happening in this city.
3. Seattle, Washington: Seattle is known for its progressive environmental policies, including a high rate of public transit use, a focus on green building practices, and a commitment to reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
4. Minneapolis, Minnesota: Minneapolis has a strong emphasis on bike lanes, walking paths, and green spaces. The city aims to be carbon neutral by 2040 and has made efforts to increase renewable energy sources.
5. Boston, Massachusetts: Boston has implemented various sustainability initiatives, including energy-efficient building codes, renewable energy programs, and plans to increase green spaces and tree cover.
6. Denver, Colorado: Denver has been working on increasing public transportation options, promoting biking, and implementing eco-friendly practices. The city has set ambitious goals for reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
7. Austin, Texas: Austin is known for its commitment to renewable energy and sustainable practices. It has a high adoption of solar energy, promotes sustainable building practices, and supports local food initiatives for people of all economic levels.
8. Boulder, Colorado: Boulder places a strong emphasis on environmental conservation and sustainable practices. It has stringent building codes for energy efficiency, encourages biking and walking, and has an active recycling program.
9. San Diego, California: San Diego has made strides in renewable energy adoption and has set a goal to run on 100% renewable energy by 2035. The city also focuses on water conservation and has invested in electric vehicle infrastructure.
10. Oakland, California: Oakland is known for its sustainable transportation options, urban agriculture projects, and efforts to reduce carbon emissions. Oakland is very passionate about improving their environment and the health of their communities. It has a goal to achieve zero waste by diverting as much waste as possible from landfills.
a. The city of Oakland has implemented recycling and composting programs and has banned single-use plastic bags and Styrofoam containers. They are encouraging businesses to adopt plastic-free alternatives.
b. Oakland supports urban agriculture initiatives, including community gardens, urban farms, and farmers' markets. These efforts promote local food production and reduce the carbon footprint associated with transporting food long distances.
c. The city is also committed to social and environmental justice. Oakland is committed to addressing environmental justice issues and ensuring that sustainability efforts benefit all communities, especially marginalized and low-income neighborhoods.
d. Oakland provides educational programs and resources to residents, schools, and businesses to raise awareness about environmental issues and promote sustainable practices.
The United States does not always look the prettiest when you visit certain places; especially big cities, however, there are a few diamonds in the cut out there, that you should keep an eye out for and even visit the next time you feel the need to get away or become extra curious about living an environmentally friendly and sustainable lifestyle. The cities that we have listed here have demonstrated their dedication to creating an environmentally friendly or sustainable future through various implemented initiatives and policies. They did not just talk about what they were going to do, they did some things and are still working on ways to improve their communities to have them be an even better place to grow and learn as inhabitants of the earth now and the generations that will follow. Keep in mind that the "greenness" of these cities seems to be evolving continuously as people become more conscious and curious, and policies and practices change. The cities are seeing and reaping from the benefits of their awareness and implementation of solid initiatives like what Oakland is doing. You can do some good for your community or city by so it's always researching the latest developments or thinking about ways you can help people in your surroundings become more environmentally friendly and sustainable in their living. What actions can you take to make your city or area of influence more environmentally friendly and sustainable or eco-friendly? Jot down at least two and commit to doing them this month. It does not take a whole lot, but it does take starting with a commitment and taking action.