Saturday, August 8th, 2020, is National Zucchini Day. This means that there is an abundance of zucchini available that will be given away or sold for less because they grow so fast and are plentiful this time of year. Making National Zucchini Day, also known as "Sneak Some Zucchini on to Your Neighbor's Porch Day." In celebration of the day, consider ways to add zucchini into your food regime.
6 Fun Facts about Zucchini
1. Hydrating – They are made up of 95% water
2. Zucchini is a close cousin of cucumbers & melons.
3. Zucchini bread, dips, pizza, soup and stews are often made to savor many occasions.
4. Zucchini has more potassium than a single banana.
5. Steaming zucchini for a short period allows it to keep its many antioxidants and doing so with the skin on is even more powerful. Eating it raw is always an option too.
6. One zucchini has less than 50 calories depending on the size, most average between 20 to 50 calories. They are high in fiber and packed with Vitamin C and manganese making them super nutritious too.
Grow your own zucchinis or pick organic one's to avoid pesticides, for the skin alone is known to have cancer-fighting properties and is full of antioxidants. Hope you decide to do something interesting with Summer squash, zucchini this day, or month; the options are endless get creative and you will be satisfying your taste buds with something new.